Oh dear, time has stood still around here again for a bit. It seems almost hard to get it going again. But I will talk about the reasons why some other time. For now, I would just like to finish this post, I started a month or two ago… when it was still warm… so I might then just move on.
This summer my lovely cousin had her wedding. I was sewing trousers and a vest for her son which was out of the same fabric his father had his made. By the way, it was one of the most lovely woolen fabrics I’ve ever sewn with. It was a DREAM to do it! Unfortunately I do not have a photo of him to share yet.
What I can share with you are the dresses me and Liv wore to this wedding.
I knew she wanted the “theme” or rather colour of the wedding (decoration) to be mint. From something quite different I had done before this, I had a lot of mint fabrics at home. So, again last minute, after I was finished with the trousers and vest, I decided to make something for us too.
For myself I wanted something to be casual enough to be comfortable in for a whole afternoon-evening, but yet appropriate for a wedding and maybe a little bit different.
The jersey skirt pattern from Delia Creates fits perfectly, though I might have made it a size smaller yet. From her instructions it should have been even bigger and I was struggling a while to get it more or less right. But I guess, that’s due to my post-baby-figure, that never got back.
I had real luck with the fabric. I bought it while looking for something else and it was quite cheap and seemed nice so I just took it. It was really a quick decision in the moment, but I’m so glad for it, because it was just ideal for this skirt. The colour is really nice, an off-white that can be formal, but still can be matched up with casual stuff. It’s wonderfully soft to the touch, yet rather a thick jersey, so it holds a nice form and also has the advantage that it’s not at all see-through. Perfect for a skirt. Also, combined with the great patter from Delia, it was just a quickie to sew! What more does one want?
The mint jersey fabric for the shirt is a much softer, flowing one, which again was wonderful for the use of the shirt. Gave it a kind of waterfall-effect, which was really nice.
What I like about the pattern is it makes it look really almost like an ordinary shirt, but with an interesting twist on the sides, plus it is really nice and comfy, especially in summer, to have it so wide. And at the same time the mint colour adds the formal touch, making it, I think, fit enough for a wedding.
The neckline is actually rather wide and it needed something to make it hold better in place, which was a nice opportunity to add a nice little detail in the back. I actually used a different mint fabric, which I used for Liv’s dress and which is not stretchy. Luckily it’s in the same mint tone as the shirt’s fabric, though. Over this I added a piece of lace (can you see it on the photo?), which again I used for Liv’s dress. So not only does it add a nice accent, it actually was a direct link to my daughter’s dress and made it matching, though, not in such a clear way. Hah, insider information here.
So, to get to Liv’s dress, now that I’ve started talking about it.
For her, I made a simple mint A-line dress, with a stretchy off-white lace at the top.
As I mentioned before, I made her dress out of a different fabric. Not quite sure what exactly it is, because it’s been in my stash probably for years. I think it’s a cotton-poly-blend or something… It’s actually nice to touch, and it can be stretched a little bit actually, but otherwise is a bit firmer. First I wanted to make her dress out of the same jersey as my shirt, but it was too flow-y and falling for the simple A-line. So I took this fabric and it worked really well.
The stretchy lace fabric at the top not only adds a nice detail, but is also really useful. It makes it softer and more comfortable around the neck and shoulders, not only to wear, but also to dress and undress.
For the hems of the neckline and sleeves I used the soft jersey from my shirt. I admit, the combination of the stretchy, thin lace and the soft jersey was a bit slippery to sew… but worth the comfort, I think. Also, thanks to the stretch of both, I didn’t have to add any buttons or any other closure around the neck, which in the end saved me lots of time, energy, and made it super easy and quick to put on.
Yup, that’s about it.
See you (hopefully) soon(er) in a next post.