This is going to be the last post to catch up with what I did this summer. And what better to finish this chapter than the biggest project I had this year. And actually the project, that started off this summer’s sewing:-) And it was THE project of this year. So far. :-) But I don’t think anything will top it anymore.
My beloved brother got married this June and brought a lovely new sister into our family. I was very much honoured to be able to make her wedding dress.
It all started with me doing some sketches. Originally, she wanted a different type of dress. Besides trying to make some designs of elven-inspired dresses that would capture what she might like, I made some sketches of something quite different, what I thought would go well with her body shape. They were inspired by the fashion of 1910s (titanic-era, if it helps for those who don’t know what was worn that time). I was glad she liked what I came up with and we decided to go with it.
We bought some beautiful off-white satin (which I used wrong side out, because I liked the matt-side better than the somewhat glossy right-side) and off-white chiffon to go over it. Plus we found some beautiful (also off-white) lace which we both absolutely loved, to go as a tunic over the dress.
The main dress-part out of satin and chiffon was strapless, having the lace tunic over it with short sleeves, which actually holds pretty much the whole dress. The tunic is attached to the rest of the dress of course in the waist, as well as on some points on the neckline.
Since the short sleeves of the tunic are out net-fabric, they were quite perfect for this very hot day they had on their wedding day. After a rainy spring, summer came quite quickly and intensely this year and the heat did not elude the hill with the romantic castle ruin, where their wedding took place. I think it was a really good decision to make them as they were. So airy (and even if not, you wouldn’t see ;-), yet elegant and also giving the dress a good halt, so the bride didn’t have to worry about anything dropping or showing what she didn’t want to.
The tunic had seemingly loose top and went into a ruched short skirt with a lower hem at the back, adding some volume and curves on the lower part as well as a little bit on the upper part of her body. I meant to make the whole upper part even more loose, as in the original 1910s silhouettes, but then we gradually took away most of the volume because it just looked more “right” at the moment. But we still left it quite loose so she would feel comfortable in the dress for the whole day. Which she really did and I was so glad!
Her waist was highlighted by a light yellow chiffon waistband. Since they had a white-yellow-(with black accents) wedding theme, this was the part where we wanted to bring in the yellow. Originally I thought we would go into a deeper hue of yellow, but then this shade just went better with the rest of the dress.
This waistband is actually the only small regret I have about that dress. I should have first stitched the folds and then added it to the waist, instead I made it the other way around… after which I found it didn’t hold as I imagined and I had to hand stitch it on a few places so it would stay where we wanted to. But then again I guess it’s a detail which I see and maybe a few others, but the rest of people will be ignorant to it (or so I hope). And next time I do something like that I’ll know better.
As to the lower hem in the back, this was of course supposed to emphasize on the long trail the dress had, which I have to admit I am very proud of how it turned out! :-)
The dress had a closing with little buttons and loops out of elastic band in the back.
Out of the little bit of rest fabric from her dress, I then made a little flower girl’s dress for Liv.
I was really glad I could add to the wedding with what I knew and could best at that moment. Now I wish the new couple every happiness and may the bond last… I love them both very dearly!